Jun 29, 2019

Flexible Seating: Trend or Best for Students

Flexible seating is all the CRAZE in classrooms right now!  More and more teachers in my district are embracing this concept in their classrooms....some are just getting their feet wet while others are going all in.   

So, as you continue to read, just remember this is MY take on the subject.  This is from what I've done and what I feel!  


If you have been in education for a while, you have seen things come, go, and then pop back around, many times with a new name.  Many of us don't want to just go with the trend, instead we want to make sure it's what's best for our kiddos!     
I'm a big proponent of meeting each student where they are, and working from there to meet the goals.  I also know that what works for one person doesn't always work for another.  Heck for that matter, what works with one group of kids doesn't always work with another.  Some are in different places academically, physically, emotionally, etc.  Some learn better by writing things, where some need more visuals, and so on.  So why couldn't students' seating-needs be different too?  Now, don't get me wrong...I don't think a hokki chair or a wiggle cushion is going to change everything....our teaching and thinking have to change too!  We have to get away from the "eyes forward, sit up straight, feet on the floor" mentality!  When I'm reading at home, I'm not doing that!  I'm in my comfy chair with my legs propped up reading....understanding...enjoying my book! Of course when I'm teaching a lesson, I want all eyes and ears!  That's a given! 
Up until now, I have had a few flexible seating options and this is what I've seen.  There are some kids that think they want a particular seating...say a wobble chair....but when they try it out, they realize that doesn't work for them.  While another student that tried the same thing, loved it!  I had one student last year that needed the wiggle cushion.  And then....I had students that tried some alternatives and went back to their regular desks.     
So if you want to just try a few options....or you want to go all in....My thought is to do what is right for you and your students!  Not every teacher....child....classroom is the same...so fit it to YOUR needs!

In my next post, I will be discussing some things that I see as potential problems (and how to remedy them)...and some things that are a MUST when using flexible seating.  I hope you'll visit again!

Until then...
Summer Blessings,
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love hearing from others! Thank you so much for leaving a comment!

Building A Classroom Community

Classrooms are actually communities...after all, educators and students spend a lot of time there together....at least seven hours, five...